Enhancing the Migration Evidence Base for the Development of Tanzania
To date, over 70 countries across the world are using Migration Profiles as a basis for internal and external consultative processes on how the positive aspects of migration can be harnessed for economic and social development. This is conceived as a concise statistical report, prepared according to a common framework, which make it easier to understand “at a glance” the migration situation in a Tanzania. This publication is developed through multi-stakeholder consultation, reflecting the migration situation in Tanzania, including:
- Migration trends and characteristics (migrant flows and stocks);
- Information on how migration impacts development (for example, education, economic growth, social protection, health, food security, etc.);
- Information on the migration governance framework (including policy and legislation) and information on international cooperation initiative
Why does Tanzania Need a Migration Profile?
- There is limited empirical evidence showing high levels of mobility in Tanzania, but there is not enough data to further analyze the nature and developmental impact of migration in Tanzania
- In order to developing effective migration policies and ensure their coherence with other policy areas, policymakers need a comprehensive and reliable knowledge base. Migration Profiles fulfill the need for such evidence.
- Beyond providing essential statistical evidence on migratory flows in the country, Migration Profiles are a starting bloc for launching structured national dialogues on migration and development and taking concrete steps towards harnessing the positive aspects of migration for all areas of development
What is a Diaspora Web Portal?
- It is a web site, designed particularly to facilitate contacts and communicationbetween Tanzanians living abroad (members of the diaspora) and the GoT
- The portal will offer various resources for diaspora members to become involved in activitiesto enhance development in Tanzania, including job skills matching.
Why does Tanzania need a diaspora Web Portal?
- While it’s assumed that a large number of Tanzanian’s are living abroad, there is little knowledge on the composition of the diaspora, including their profiles, skills, and numbers.
- There are currently few means available facilitating temporary return programs, virtual skill transfers, remittances (social, financial and others) etc. The diaspora web portal could therefore enable the involvement of Tanzania’s diaspora.